Growing Heart 2013 Growing Season
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a CSA?
How much does it cost?
What is your half-share policy?
How do you determine price?
What’s in a share?
Where do I pick up my share?
How do I sign up?
When does it start?
What happens if I can’t pick up my share?
Can I come to the farm?
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a simple and efficient way to distribute food directly from local farms to people in nearby communities. In a CSA you buy a fixed-price “share” of the farm’s harvest for the season, and receive a selection of fresh produce weekly from June through October. Your share will be delivered to a convenient neighborhood drop-off spot, where you come by once a week and pick up your vegetables, meet other farm members, trade recipes, and chat with the farmers.
When you sign up, you dedicate yourself to being our customer for the year, thus providing us a secure market — a welcome measure of certainty in the fickle world of farming! We, in turn, dedicate ourselves to being your farmers, providing you with a varied, nutritious, and chemical-free vegetable diet. When you join a CSA, you know exactly where your food is coming from. And you can ask us any questions about our farming methods and how we take care of our land to better feed you! Working directly with you – without the intermediary of stores or wholesalers – gives us the opportunity to provide the freshest quality produce you can buy. You will also find the selection of vegetables we can offer is much wider than a traditional grocery store.
In the CSA model, the farm members share the risk as well as the rewards of the farm season. Mother nature provides no guarantees, and some years a particular vegetable may not do very well. You, the members, also share in the bounty of the farm, and members receive highest quality vegetables and herbs. As a member of a CSA, you will be directly supporting small-scale, ecological, local farming, and helping maintain our regional farmlands and rural areas.
Vegetable share price is $600 for 20 weeks of vegetables or a half share for $325 – details below.
We have two options for half-share holders:
1. Pick up a full share every other week. You’ll get 10 weeks of produce for $325, and we’ll tell you which weeks to pick up.
2. Split a full share with someone. You can either find a buddy yourself to split with, or we will find someone for you! (Just make a note on your application or send us an email.) Once you are paired up, you can either decide to pick up on alternating weeks (this might give you more flexibility than the above option – if you’re out of town for a week your buddy can pick up your share, then you can get the next two weeks in a row) or to split the share in half each week (or whatever other arrangement works for you). Growing Heart Farm will not physically split the share in half for you – we drop off a full share – it’s up to you and your CSA buddy to work out those details!
Our goal is to make your share worth more than you pay for it, meaning that if all goes well, you will receive more fresh produce than you could buy for the same price at the farmers market.
In addition, we are a very small farm using hand crafted techniques and the quality is reflected in our veggies. We feel our taste surpasses the farmers market and other CSA’s due to the attention and care given during cultivation and harvest. We are one of the few farms within 100 miles of NYC and we run entirely on solar power and employ many other sustainable techniques.
Our prices reflect the true cost of producing veggies at this scale in a sustainable manner. It takes two full time people and many other loving helpers to run our 50 share CSA and we want to share the love that we have growing with you.
What’s in a share?
Shares will include a minimum of 5-9 types of produce per week. The variety will generally be limited at the beginning of the season, and increase as the summer progresses. Shares will include a selection of the following, depending on the season:
Spring – arugula, baby mixed greens, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, lettuce, peas, radishes, spinach, turnips
Summer – basil, baby mixed greens, beets, cilantro, celery, carrots, chard, cucumbers, eggplant, kale, lettuce, onions, peppers, tomatoes, summer squash/zucchini, winter squash/pumpkins
Fall – arugula, cabbage, carrots, celeriac, celery, chard, collard greens, fennel, kale, leeks, parsnips, potatoes, turnips, radishes
Growing Heart sponsors four pick-up locations:
- SOHO – Nathan Love 407 broome st map
- WILLIAMSBURG/GREENPOINT - Awakening Center 607 Manhattan Ave map
- PARK SLOPE – 8th Ave and 17th Street map
Times and locations will be given on a first come first serve basis.
For 2013 registration is limited to 50 CSA members, first-come, first-served.
- You are not considered registered until we receive your downpayment or payment in full.
- The deposit payment for the vegetable share is half of the cost of the share.
- We accept checks (cash if you can catch one of us in person). Make checks out to Growing Heart Farm.
To register, please download a pdf of the registration form: click here.
Return your completed form to:
Growing Heart Farm
25 Jeans Drive
Pawling, NY 12564
Shares will be approximately 20 weeks long, beginning in late May or early June and running until early to mid-October.
You can send a friend to pick up for you! Missed pickups will be donated to local food kitchens after the pick up time ends. If you are really on the ball, you can call us ahead of time if you can’t pick up so we don’t harvest for you!
We love volunteers and encourage members to come help out on the farm. All ages and abilities are welcome, including kids and those with limited mobility. You’ll get to see first-hand where your food comes from as you help with harvesting, washing, seeding, building, or similar “work.” (And we make it so fun, you won’t even realize you are working!) We are less than a mile walk from the Harlem Valley – Wingdale Metro North train station.